Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dual boot 98se & xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcajka

Technical User
Jun 21, 2002
US
i have 98se on c: and xp home on d:. how do i edit the boot.ini (yes i know i use notepad) so that 98se won't show up in the boot menu? or what is the command that i remove?

Boot to WinXP, right-click My Computer, go to Properties. On the Advanced tab go to Startup and Recovery section, click on the Settings button. You can change the sequence there for first boot choice and shorten the time so you see not much more than a flash of the menu.

You can also edit the file from there - you need to remove the entry which usually says C:\="Microsoft Windows" (or directly - its in the root of C:\ - hidden, system, read only file (so you need explorer options set appropriately, or change its attributes from command/dos prompt)

Are you intending removing 98? (I can't see any other reason to remove the ability to boot into it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back