Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTX question (Ethernet wire testing and Split Pair)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dima-m

Technical User
Aug 5, 2020
US
i had dtx done on a 4-wire Ethernet cable and received a split pair error on DTX-1800 unit....; not sure if this definitely means that connector is miswired or if the wire harness too degraded and should be replaced.

Argument about harness not being miswired (as i was given by one of the senior guys) is that mis-pinning will create a crossed wire or connection situation resulting in incorrect data tx/rx. In a twist pair configuration each of the wire pairs are matched for a Tx/Rx or High/Low transmission line and due to cable being pretty long (100 feet or so) cable has degraded enough i.e. the twist applied during its manufacturing has become less effective toward frequency separation or out of tolerance for the length of the installed run that allows.(not sure how accurate this statement is)

i attached few pictures of the test results to give better detail

wire_map_lgfwwe.jpg

insertion_loss_lvm1zw.jpg

HDTDR_et5uxx.jpg

HDTDX_iuib51.jpg

insertion_loss_graph_gqqrqf.jpg

NEXT_ikx8xe.jpg

Return_Loss_graph_bwhuxe.jpg

If the DTX says there is a split pair, then the wiring is wrong. No other degradation of the cable will produce a split pair reading. (I'm assuming that you're using the word "harness" to mean the "cable" and not something else.) Note that the suggestion that a degraded, but correctly terminated, cable with poor frequency response or high pair crosstalk can create a split pair reading on the DTX is not correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back