Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTS Packages - Indexes

Status
Not open for further replies.

apcapc

Technical User
Sep 20, 2004
GB
I am fairly new to SQL Server and have been given the job to import our Foxpro database into SQL Server 2000, I have been using the DTS and importing the data fine but have only just realised that the tables I have been creating have not copied the indexes from FoxPro, please could anyone who knows advise whether there is a way to ensure the Indexes are kept during Import and if not what is the quickest way to get my database tables (approx 170) and data in SQL Server

Many Thanks in advance

Andy Corderoy

I don't think you are able to import indexes from ANY source system with DTS, if somebody knows please tell me. Way I see it is that you have to create indexes in sql, probably a great phase to rethink index structures. It is the priviledge and responsibility (sounds like a Jane Austin novel) of the dba of the sql server to design indexes to meet the query demands.

I can't help myself to point out that indexes in a database exist only for query performance reasons and referential integrity, but never for programming control, like to test if an insert fails for primary key constraint violation then the record exists already. I know some software are built like this, but it's catastrophic approach with sql server.

Cheers

[blue]Backup system is as good as the latest recovery[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back