Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTS package disappeared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenelopeC

Technical User
May 12, 2003
US
I have a DTS package that runs a monthly accounting function pulling data from a Progress database. The package has always done what it should until today. I try to right-click/open "DESIGN PACKAGE" and EM gives me the message that the "System cannot find the file specified"

If I look in my msdb table sysdtspackages, I see the file listed. What's going on? How do I fix this???

And of course, this is an emergency. The accounting period ends today and I've got the fiscal office breathing down my neck! <ACK!>

PenelopeC
~~~>-/O~~~~~swimming right along

Have you refreshed the DTS Packages screen. EM is known to cache bad info here. If someone else modified it, you may be trying to pull an invalid version.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

Yes, I did refresh it. I even deleted my server group and server registration and reattached it through a new server registration. It no longer works from my desktop, but I can open in design mode on the server itself.

I did have other packages that wouldn't run because my log files got humongous (17GB!) but once I got that cleared up, they healed themselves.

Any help that ANYONE can offer would be much appreciated! I guess if I don't hear anything, I'll have to re-create the package and see if that works.....

PenelopeC

Since you can open in design mode on the server, but your on your workstation, we are looking at a client issue. Do you have the correct progress drivers installed on your workstation? Are there any connections that are pointing to a local file path that exists on the server and not on your workstation?

Denny

This is the part I don't understand. I do have the Merant driver I need for the Progress ODBC connection. How/where would I find and correct the path? I'm stumped!

PenelopeC

I'm not sure how the progress drives work. Do they point to a file on the server, or is there a process on the server that listens for a connection like there is for SQL Server.

Denny

Heck if I know. I feel like such a monkey.

I DO know that I don't have the updated drivers installed on the server or else I would just stand at the server and run the package there. I've been TRYING to install the driver on the server but it tells me I need to install PROGRESS which I don't want to do because its a monster and I don't have that much space to play with.

If it were like the SQL process, where would I look to find the paths? I've been looking at the ODBC connection properties and it all looks fine. I'm wondering if somewhere in EM there is a place to set the path?

when you look at the DTS package is there anything any object or connection that has a path to a local file?

Can you open the package on another machine other than the workstation that isn't working?

Denny

I don't have any connections to local files that I can figure out. I can open most pieces of the package on the server for editing. I can't open any pieces of the package on the client machine (I get the system can't find the file message) and I can't open the data transformation pieces on the server because I get a message about the driver name not found (because I don't have the driver installed on the server?)

yeah, that's going to be because you don't have the drivers installed. Can you try opening the package on a third machine?

Denny

I'm in the process of working with the package on the server by changing the ODBC connection to the Progress driver I DO have (9.1C when I have 9.1D on my client) to see if I can check things out that way.

I don't have Enterprise Manager installed anywhere else :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back