Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTS import, Add 2 columns Date and Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barneye

MIS
Mar 5, 2002
US
I have a inventory I import daily from a Pick system via ODBC. I need to add 2 columns, Date and Source. Date being the date the import occured. Source will always be a fixed value. Can I do this with a DTS package?

I am running SQL 2000 SP4. I am new to SQL so the simpler the better!

Thanks!

Hi,

There are a couple of ways to do this

a) assuming that your target table has a datetime field for the import date, set the default value of this field to
Code:
getdate()
and the default value of the source field to be 'PICK' for example

b) in the dts package on the source for the transform, make the source a sql statement rather than a direct table/view source. The sql statement will be along the lines of
Code:
select *, sysdate, 'PICK' from table

where sysdate is the pick sql command for the current system date

c) in the transformations for the job, highlight the 2 destination fields for import date and source, click new and select ActiveX script
Code:
DTSDestination("import date") = Now
DTSDestination("source") = "PICK"
This will give you a transform line with no source

It is possible to mix and match the above, eg a default date value on the table with an ActiveX script for source

Hope this helps

Rock is Dead (Long Live Paper and Scissors)**************************************************************

Sorry I took so long getting back!

I used the ActiveX script and it worked great!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back