Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTS Excel File Load Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristal9

Programmer
Feb 15, 2007
US
Hi I am hoping to get some help figuring out an error.

I have an Excel 2003 file and have a DTS built to load it into a SQL 2000 table. Each time it attempts to load, I will get the error msg: DTS Transformation_83’ Error Conversion invalid for datatypes in columns xx to yy.

To enable the file to finally load, each week I must go into the excel file and filter each a select number of columns where the column format is DATE (it doesnt happen with all date datatype columns, just some of them) filter for [blank], select the cells and hit the delete button.

So it seems that SQL is seeing something in those date columns in a cell or series of cells that is not a blank or null value. In excel it appears to be blank value. Even if I try a find " " (space) replace with blank it doesn't find the " " (space). Excel doesn't see a carriage return either but there is something there in what appears to be null value in Excel that is not.

There are in total 6 columns where this occurs. I am wondering if anyone know a way around it ... either in Excel or the DTS to avoid the error without going into the excel file and manually deleting out null values.

I hope this gives enough information. If not, please let me know... also, if this post is better posted in another forum, please advise that as well. I thought to start here.

Many thanks!
kristal

kristal,
I have similar problems when importing 'third party' (i.e. other peoples') Excel files into SQL server table. I suspect it is to do with Excel attempting to determine the data types from the initial dozen or so rows.
To address such issues, I tend to use a temporary table with varchar fields as a staging area, so that I can use ISNUMERIC, ISDATE and similar functions to perform checks when loading the data into the final tables.

soi là, soi carré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back