Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTS and triggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOGWATCH

Programmer
Mar 11, 2004
US
I've got a simple trigger which places a timestamp in the lastupdated filed upon insert or update of the record. The trigger works fine, however i've discovered that when doing an import from DTS the trigger won't fire. (I know it's not a bug and it was designed that way.)

Whats a simple way to make my trigger fire off after i've done a DTS import? I've considered setting up a separate scheduled job that will run after my DTS operate that will
force an update to the table. However I would prefer to have the DTS actually fire off an update and cause the trigger to fire... any ideas how to tackle this?

DTS by design doesn't fire the triggers off. Try loading the data into a staging table then have the dts package run a stored procedure which moves the data into the production table. As it's the stored proc doing the work not the transformation the trigger will fire.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back