Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTO by JAVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

robich74

Programmer
Jan 5, 2006
IT
I'm trying to use "JaWin", a tool that wraps JNI in order to allow a ddl to be accessed by Java Code.

What I'm trying to do is reproducing (in Java) the example i found at
I succeed in getting the connection, and from the resulting object I can "see" the databases registered on the system.

Then, I try to create the Database, setting the requested parameters... but the creation fails, returning me an Access Violation error (my thread seems not to have the permission to read the location of the virtual memory).

At the moment, can't understand if the error is given by the interface built with JaWin or by my code, perhaps because of some wrong parameter...

What I'm asking is:

- What's the meaning of the "DTO.DtoSession.1" and "DTO.DtoDatabase.1" strings, passed as parameters in the CreateObject methods?

- Are access violation errors possible also in COM programming? If so, what would you suggest me to check?

- Are there other aspects I should have to take care of (such as inizializations, allocating and so on), if I ran the InstallScript Sample linked above?

Any help will be very appreciated!!

To answer the questions:
- What's the meaning of the "DTO.DtoSession.1" and "DTO.DtoDatabase.1" strings, passed as parameters in the CreateObject methods?
These are the names of the COM objects in the DTO library. They are used to access the methods and properties within the DTO object.

- Are access violation errors possible also in COM programming? If so, what would you suggest me to check?
Access Violations are always possible when developing programs and are usually caused by uninitialized variables or incorrect coding.

- Are there other aspects I should have to take care of (such as inizializations, allocating and so on), if I ran the InstallScript Sample linked above?
InstallScript and Java are very different so you'll need to convert what the InstallScript does to Java. That includes any allocations and deallocations, etc.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back