Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTMF Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgusko

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2003
US
Hi-

I'm configuring an IP Office 406 w/2 Digital Station 30 mod's and 1 Analog 16 mod. I'm using a mixture of 6400 and 4400 series phones. On the 4400 series phones, I have one problem, and that's that the DTMF tones are skewed. It's almost like the phones are using ALaw instead of MuLaw. Any ideas? I've racked my brain and can't think of anythign else to try.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael,

I think 44xx phones are always u-law as they are intended for the US/Canadian market only whereas 64xx phones support both u-law and a-law as they are intended for International markets.

If your switch is configured for a-law operation and you use 44xx phones you should get a warning message on the 44xx phones when the DS module is powered off/on or reset. The message you get on the phone is something like
"Warning: u-Law extension
a-Law swi"

What is your IP406 System/System/"locale" option set to?
What is your IP406 System/Telephony/"Companding" option set to?
What country are you in?

Mar sin leat

endpoint
(when you get here there's no where else to go!)

Hello-

I verified the configuration per your intstructions. I'm in the USA. My IP406/System/Locale="enu" and my IP406/Telephony/Companding="ULAW". I have tested the problem DS30 on a 403 system and the problem follows the module. I'm guessing there is a software issue on the module. Thanks for your help.

Michael

Update on this situation:

My distributor was unable to help yesterday, so they brought an Avaya engineer in. He noodled around the system (reset to factory defaults in the midst of everything) and determined that the problem was likely with a transformer in the DS-30 module. It's amazing to me though that a 6400 series phone works on this module _and_ that the 6400 series phone can adapt to either ULaw or ALaw, while the 4400 series phone is a ULaw only phone. It will be interesting to see what happens when the new modules arrive Monday.

We had a simalar problem and it was the expansion port on the 406 and not the mod.

I've successfully eliminated the 406. I put the module on a 403 and it did the same thing. While I really doubt it's the transoformer, it's either that or a software issue. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back