Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTE or DCE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2002
RU
Hi!
How can I determine is my router works as DTE or DCE on serial connection. It depends on cable or configuration? Can I use "clockrate" command only for DCE?
Any useful tips?
Thanks in advance.

Hi
The clockrate command only works for a serial interface which is connected with the DCE end of a cable.

A serial cable always have one DCE (Data Communications Equipment) connector and one DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) connector. The cable should be marked in each end with DCE or DTE. The DCE connector should be plugged into the device that provides the clocking (usually the CSU/DSU from your provider). The DTE connector should be connected to the slave (Usually your router).

Your Cisco router will sense if a DCE or DTE is plugged into the serial port. If it's not the DCE end, then you won't be able to configure clockrate.

You should be able to see if the interface is a DCE or DTE with the 'show interface Serial' command or the 'show controller' command.

Best Regards
Katamann@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back