Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DT920 Reset ADMIN password? 1

Peter Simpson

Systems Engineer
Mar 5, 2024
US
Bought a DT920 off Goodwill and the ADMIN password has been changed from the default 6633222 (6633222444 doesn't work either). Any way to change this back (like by reading a config file from a TFTP server) or have I bought a brick ($10, so I'm not out a lot)? According to the config info I can access it's in "NEC std SIP 5.6.0.20" mode, so I'd really like to be able to change the SIP registration so I can use it for VOIP.

(I do NOT have an NEC switch, nor do I intend to use this with an NEC switch...I'll be hooking it through an Asterisk PBX to C*NET)

You need to flash it for STD SIP. I can provide a link to dropbox to get the files, but I will need an email address since the files are too large to post here.

The phone is already loaded with "NEC STD SIP 5.6.0.20" firmware (surprisingly). I do already have the STD SIP firmware v5.3.4.0 which I got from you earlier, so thanks for that! The issue here is that the config server for the previous owner changes the ADMIN password, so I can't do things like set a boot server (it's still set to the old owner's server URL) or a new SIP registration server.

Need to reset the phone to default config (not firmware, just the config). Easy if you have an NEC tool, I suspect, but I don't. Already tried using Wireshark to look at the config file being downloaded from the previous server, but it's set in HTTPS (TLS1.2 encrypted) so no easy way to see what the ADMIN password is getting changed to.

What I need to do is get the phone to boot *my* config file so I can reset the ADMIN password to the default. I think I'm getting to the "diminishing returns" stage here...my next option is to put the default config data on a TFTP server and hope that if the phone cannot reach the configuration server in its memory, that it defaults to using a TFTP server it gets from DHCP.

You need IP Phone Manager. With it you should be able to factory default the phone and clear the custom password.

I can get a fresh copy of it late tonight. EST time zone.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World.

Those that understand Binary and those that don't.

@DoubleDriveLine -- much appreciated! I got a copy of IP Phone Manager, but it's an older one that doesn't cover the DT900 series. I'm also Eastern time zone.

Hit me with your email address. I have it on my Google Drive.

Well it is uploading now.

If you can email me a GDrive invite when it's uploaded, I'll try it out today!
Thanks again!

Email sent.

Email sent

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back