Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dsu bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimfixit

MIS
Aug 5, 2003
US
this command is supposed to set a limit on how much the T3 wic will allow in...does it need to match the service supplier's value? If you set the DSU bandwidth value is that for inbound-outbound...or both?

We have a situation where we have a fractional DS3 deployed. Its a long story but there is a problem on the circuit at the service provider's end. All they can do is move us to a full DS3 to clear up the noise on the line. We need to limit the rate on the router so that we don't exceed the 'paid for rate', besides, I don't want to over run the router on the other end. SO if I set DSU bandwidth to be lower than the full DS3 actually provided, do you think that would do the trick?

We have many QOS policies in place so I'm afraid to use the rate-limit command as that may cause interference with the QOS.

is it a point to point ds3? atm? frame-relay? there are many ways you can go about to control or shape your traffic to stay within your CIR value...

cisco mentions this on one of their sites:
Configuring the DSU Bandwidth Range
The DSU bandwidth range is from 0 to 44210 kbps. The local port and the remote port must have matching configurations. Therefore, if you reduce the effective bandwidth to 3000 on the local port, you must do the same on the remote port by entering the dsu bandwidth interface configuration command.

Thank you for that post. Yes it is frame relay.

By 'remote' do they mean the hardware at the service supplier or the 'other end' of the frame relay circuit? This is MPLS frame with hub and spoke config.

I think I may have figured it out. We have QOS with three classes defined and the total bandwidth per class totals up to the total bandwidth we actually have. I think I can just leave those settings in place even though we pump up the physical bandwidth, these settings will still 'cap' how much we use...i think...

are you using traffic shaping with frame-relay class-maps?
you can define the cir and min cir values for the pvc if you control both sides of the link...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back