Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DST fall back - 2008 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatetec

MIS
Mar 22, 2007
US
If I have all APARs specified for the OS level:

echo $TZ returns EST5EDT

AIX 5.1 => IY34203 IY55126 IY75214
AIX 5.2 => IY35629 IY55127 IY75213
AIX 5.3 => IY75211

the time on the nodes should fall back one hour automatically with no manual intervention. Is that correct?

thx much

Well, the time itself in the system is kept in CUT, so nothing will happen to the system clock, except that it keeps on ticking... ;-)

But the way the system time is displayed for that timezone: yes, you'll see a changeover from Daylight Savings Time to Standard Time. Note, I didn't check the particular APARs for the different timezones, I'll take your word for it.

HTH,

p5wizard

>> yes, you'll see a changeover from Daylight Savings Time to Standard Time.

Do you mean you have to change it manually? I thought you don't need to...as to it will the DST change for you.

>> yes, you'll see a changeover from Daylight Savings Time to Standard Time.

You'll see that happening automatically... If you were to schedule a script that runs
[tt]while true
do
date
sleep 1
done[/tt]
during the changeover night, you'd see EDT in the date output change back to EST along with a "fall back" of one hour.

Note however, that if you have changed the variable [tt]TZ[/tt] recently in [tt]/etc/environment[/tt], you'd need to reboot your system in order for the changed TZ to apply to all system daemon processes (especially cron).

You might want to check out some of the threads that were active roundabout february/march: thread52-1330038 thread52-1328748

HTH,

p5wizard

Thx much for the update.

Also, can you please let me know if IY55126 is replaced by IY75214? For AIX 5.1, I can only obtain ML9 and its bundle.
If IY55126 is needed for DST, how/where can I download IY55126? I am sort of remember that IY55126 is not mandatory for DST or replaced by IY75214.

thx

Sorry, I don't have any 5.1 boxes any more. I can't help you...

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back