Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSS Sniffer 4.1048 Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTMan

MIS
Feb 15, 2001
US
I have recently rebuilt our firm's image for our DSS Sniffers with the new version (4.1048). After capturing packets for several days/weeks, I noticed on one DSS I get the error "Failed to start capture! Please lower the capture buffer size and retry." I have lowered the buffer size down to 2 MB from 16 MB and it still gives me the same error. The only thing I have been able to do to resolved the error is restart the box. This clears the error and allow me to capturing at the full buffer size of 16 MB. Has anyone seen this? Is there a fix? I do have the srmon.dll patch installed.

Thanks in advance,
DTMan

there is a patch for this. Call tech support and request the SRMON.dll patch. this is a DLL file that is place on your DSpro to replace the current file. This will fix the problem

Yes, and I have installed that patch. Even after installing this patch, it still generates this error. The only thing I have found to correct the symptoms is to reboot the machine.

TR

How did you image the units? If you used Remote update, the console machine should have been at NT 4.0 SP 6a or Win2k Sp2. If not some wierd things will occur, like this. The other method to upgrade a unit is to completely uninstall all the agent sooftware at the agent, remove all the registry entries and delete snifferprob.ini from the agent.

I acquired the manufacturer's disk image and then tweaked it from there with only the features I needed. This does not affect the key file. I have not had any further problems since I figured out what was wrong from the first time I ghosted the DSS boxes.
I don't believe it is a ghost image problem, but rather a dll problem since this file has had problems in the past.
The thing that is odd also is that it only occurs on certain boxes and a restart takes care of it. If it were something like the key file or another file that is an exact replica from the ghost image, you would think you would see this on every box.
DTMan

I am also receiving this error on a few of my Sniffers. My technical support contact told me it was due to a data.mdb file being too large (over 1GB in size). A couple of the sniffers did have a data.mdb over 1 GB and a couple didn't - and they still got the error. I got fed up and deleted/renamed the data.mdb file. I restarted the sniffer and haven't received the error again (this was one week ago). The agent recreated the data.mdb file. Maybe this will help you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back