Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL with Avaya 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

strrmic

Technical User
May 28, 2009
US
I am currently trying to work from home, using a vpn, avaya, qos, along with cisco. The test I ran looks pretty good. I have 2.78mb's. The tech people with my work are telling me that I cannot use DSL, that it has to be a Cable connection, however, the provider i have DSL through can give me at least 10mb down and 4mb up, which according to them should be able to handle what I need. Any suggestions or anything you can add to this would really be appreciated. I have to convince my Employer that DSL can work and that it doesn't have to be cable.
Thanks

Pfft, DSL will run a VPN connection just fine; 90% of our home VPN users are using ADSL connections.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

When ADSL first came out, the uplink speeds were very slow, typically no faster than your dialup modem (56Kbps). That technology has improved, but the tech people are probably just accustomed to telling employees that it won't work.

You should try to convince the company that DSL is OK, but if they refuse to accept that, I would just tell them that you have cable now and forget about it.

Unfortunately, people tend to categorize technologies, rather than throughputs into the work/don't work columns. It is easier in the short term, but doesn't account for any technological growth.

pansophic

When they are telling you it won't work, are they, in fact telling you that they only support cable based solutions? It may be a corporate / IT decision to support only 1 type of connectivity.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Thanks Matt for your response. The IT person stated that Avaya wouldn't work with DSL. There is nothing else that could be wrong. I can't understand Avaya being the problem, because every forum I look at says that they are compatible with DSL. I am at the end of my rope because my phone company says it can be done, and they have other people working from home with the same software, and have no problems.
Thanks

>The IT person stated that Avaya wouldn't work with DSL

That statement is neither wrong nor right. I have Avaya systems that work over DSL based connections. I have remote IP phones that work over DSL based connections. However, that doesn't mean that *your* avaya system will.

They may have used the the words "Avaya wouldn't work with DSL" but this may be their way of saying "we don't support..." or it may a number of other technical reasons (wrong VPN concentrator etc)

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Matt, I would connect through fiberlink from a laptop and I know the Avaya would be a softphone that goes along with Cisco. The calls are routed through Avaya and a pop up screen comes up with prefilled information. I also know that they retrieve reports through cms. I know that there would be a separate phone line for long distance through AT&T. Would the voice and data packets be traveling over the same copper wires?
I appreciate anymore information you can give me or suggest some ways I can get this IT person to take 30 seconds of his time to tell my phone company what I need, so they can look into this. This isn't Verizon it is TDS Telecom. Thanks for listening, I am just so frustrated.

I have a remote access vpn from home to work, and another from work to home, with 6Mbps/618 up at home, and a T1 at my office. A Cisco 2620XM at home with a WIC-1ADSL and a Cisco 3640 with an ethernet connection to an AdTran L3 switch (for VoIP), which terminates to the SmartJack (T1). This is output from my home router...

Edge>en
Password:
Edge#sh dsl int
ATM0/0
Alcatel 20150 chipset information
ATU-R (DS) ATU-C (US)
Modem Status: Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME)
DSL Mode: ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT) Annex A
ITU STD NUM: 0x01 0x1
Vendor ID: 'ALCB' ' '
Vendor Specific: 0x0000 0x0000
Vendor Country: 0x00 0x00
Capacity Used: 97% 98%
Noise Margin: 5.0 dB 6.0 dB
Output Power: 16.5 dBm 12.0 dBm
Attenuation: 24.0 dB 31.5 dB
Defect Status: None None
Last Fail Code: None
Selftest Result: 0x00
Subfunction: 0x15
Interrupts: 1381 (0 spurious)
PHY Access Err: 0
Activations: 7
LED Status: ON
LED On Time: 100
LED Off Time: 100
Init FW: embedded
Operation FW: embedded
SW Version: 3.8131
FW Version: 0x1A04

Interleave Fast Interleave Fast
Speed (kbps): 0 6016 0 608
Cells: 0 3051919 0 462711085
Reed-Solomon EC: 0 0 2 0
CRC Errors: 0 3762 3 18581
Header Errors: 0 2801 3 5319
Bit Errors: 0 0
BER Valid sec: 0 0
BER Invalid sec: 0 0

LOM Monitoring : Disabled

DMT Bits Per Bin
00: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 6 7 8 9 9 9 9 9
10: 9 8 8 8 8 8 8 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 0 0
20: 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 4 5 6 7 7 8 9 9 9
30: A B B B C C C D D D D D D D D D
40: C D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D
50: D D D D D D D D D D D D D 2 D D
60: D D D D D D C C D C C C C C C C
70: C C C C C C C C C C C C C B B 8
80: 8 B B C C C C C C B C C C C C C
90: C B 8 B C C B C C B B B B B B C
A0: A B B B B C B C C B B B B C B 0
B0: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
C0: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
D0: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
E0: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
F0: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

DSL: Training log buffer capability is not enabled

Edge#sh run int atm0/0
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 240 bytes
!
interface ATM0/0
no ip address
ip verify unicast reverse-path
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
ip accounting access-violations
no atm ilmi-keepalive
dsl operating-mode auto
clock rate aal5 7000000
clock rate aal2 2600000
end

It's trained up to 6 down and 614 up, and it works fine. If my T1 works just fine (of course VPN from home to work is a bit better), then 4Mb up would DEFINITELY be fine! You're as fast as your slowest link. Cable's going down the tubes, and that provides a better future for the DSL market, IMHO...

/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back