Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL/Win2k/Linksys router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocker838

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2001
US
I am about to embark on DSL and was wondering how easy this setup can be...

i recently recieved my wirespeed ethernet DSL modem, and am planning on getting the linksys 4 port switched router...i just wanted to know if i had to do any of the "setup" from the DSL provider or install thier software; or on my activation day, can i just plug in the DSL modem, the router, config the router/cpu then go?

thanks for the help "Less work more network" (HP) -- its so catchy

It's pretty simple. Plug in your first PC to your router. You open your browser and point it to the predefined IP address of your router and it will launch the setup interface. From there you can change the settings to suit your needs, such as whether or not to use DHCP on your network, what IP address range you want to use, as well as some nifty routing features. All in all I had it up and running in about 15 minutes without problem. I say go for it. Just wait till the DSL installer leaves...they still want you to pay for those extra IPs.

I totally agree with what TheVMan has said. The only thing you would actually need to know is if your modem supports PPOE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet) or PPOA (Point to Point Protocol over ATM). The linksys router supports the PPOA modem with no problem out of the box, but if you have a PPOE modem, you will need to grab a patch of Linksys's website before it will work. The default IP address for the router should be 192.168.1.1

Good Luck!

The only problem I experienced is that with version 1.37 of their firmware, Linksys made some 28 revisions, and now it's very stable for both my Windows 98SE and W2K machines at home. Check your version number and apply the upgrade, if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back