Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL u/l speed equals dial-up modem problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usalabs1

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
I use 256K DSL, but when running an ftp server the download (from client) is about 4k b/s, I thought it would be because the user was using a dial-up modem, but I tried it at a friends house, using the same 256K DSL speed, then examined the ftp server log files, I found that when I tried it, the speed was also about 4k b/s, usually the upload/download speed is somewhere between 100-125k b/s, is there a reason why the d/l and u/l speed has dropped drastically?

First of all, there are two different kinds of speeds being reported here: network bandwidth and file transfer rate.

Network bandwidth is often what you see when talking about the speed of a connection. In this case, 100kbps upload speed means 100 kilobits per second. File transfer rate is referring to the speed of an actual transfer in terms of kilobytes per second (since that's more helpful than bits to show the size of what's being moved).

With me so far? Good. Since there are 8 bits in a byte, a 100kbps upload connection can transfer a file at the max speed of 12.5KB/s (100 divided by 8).

With that said, your current upload speeds do seem pretty slow at 4KB/s. I would go here to run some tests and let us know what you find:
(both upload & download)
(just download, but by location)

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

There is also a distinction between your download and upload bandwidth.

I agree with cdogg, test the connection. But as a guess you have 256 download, and a very small upload bandwidth.

I did the d/l and u/l test and it showed that I have an upload speed of 240Kb/s and a download speed of 241Kb/s, but the ftp server logs show that the download spped from the client, is about 4Kb/s, 4096b/s to be precise.

Would passive mode on the server interfere?, I have to use passive mode because I'm behind a nat/router/firewall and have a range of ports for the passive mode forwarded in the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back