Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL to Dialup Is there a way? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchiphead2

Technical User
Oct 14, 2004
US
A friend is visiting with her tower and has been using suddenlink DSL. I have dialup only so far. Can she use her computer via dialup and how does it have to be configured to be able to do that? Thank you. Thom

As long as there is a modem in the computer, and you know youre access #'s and credentials, then she can share your account when you aren't online. she won't like the 1/10th speed. Dialup is 10% at best

-David
2006, 2007 & 2008 Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (VB)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

If you go to sites with lots of text and not many pictures, there is hardly any difference in speed. It is only sites that have tons of pictures to download that you'll notice the speed difference.

If you have a crossover cable and 2 network cards, you can share the dial up line. I didn't find many problems with it on 56K dial up and 4 PCs browsing.

Hello. I guess I should have restated the question. I have a tower that was in use with DSL and want to use it at another location but there is only dialup access. What do I need to do to be able to get online with the tower? Thanks, Thom

Do you have an external or internal dialup modem?

If you have an internal dialup modem, it needs to be installed in the tower.

If it is an external dialup modem, just connect it to the tower. Set up the tower the same as you did on your machine and you should be OK.

You didn't need to restate the question, you needed to understand the answers as they are correct.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Start> Control Panel> Network Connections> Create New Network Connection.

Wizard Starts

Next> Connect to the Internet> Set up Connection Manually> Connect Using a Dial Up Modem> Give the Connection a Name, Next> Enter the phone number you dial up (you can get this from your current PC)> Anyones Use> enter your sign on credentials (Same as you use on other PC) and Next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back