Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL, router & network switch connectivity prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiledr

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
US
I have recently gotten SBCAmertiech DSL. They supplied a router and service, and told me that I could connect the router to the switch to give everyone DSL internet access. Not so!

No one can see the router on the network (ping fails to see router's IP address). When I reset my machine to use automatic IP addresses, still no connection to internet -- the IP address given to my machine is the same as the NIC's. But, when I connect the router directly to my NIC, bingo we've got internet, but no connectivity to the office network.

I need both internet and office connectivity. Anyone have ideas?

Thanks!

Charles

this is just a guess, but is the cable from the router to the switch a cross over cable? sounds like it needs to be.

all the other cables should be straight through I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Yes, the cable is correct to the switch (cross-over) and straight-through when direct connected to machine.

Charles

Have you tried only one machine on the routers' ethernet port? If so, when you pull an IP look at the subnet mask. Here is a small table to tell you how many hosts(computers) you can have off of the different subnets:

Class B Subnetting:

Subnet Mask # Hosts

255.255.192.0 16382
255.255.224.0 8190
255.255.240.0 4094
255.255.248.0 2046
255.255.252.0 1022
255.255.254.0 510
255.255.255.0 254
255.255.255.128 126
255.255.255.192 62
255.255.255.224 30
255.255.255.240 14
255.255.255.248 6
255.255.255.252 2

Class C Subnetting:

Subnet Mask # Hosts

255.255.255.192 62
255.255.255.224 30
255.255.255.240 14
255.255.255.248 6
255.255.255.252 2

If you are limited by the subnet mask to a certain number of hosts, you may go 2 routes:

1. Ask the DSL provider to expand your subnet to allow for more hosts.

2. Purchase a secondary router to interface between your network and the ISP's router.

Good Luck,
Doug

The subnet is 255.255.255.0, so I think we have adequate #'s.

Thanks!

Time to clarify some terminology. WHen you say they supplied a router, what do you mean? Is it a DSL router/modem type thing? Or did you get a DSL modem and also a router box (like a Linksys, Dlink, or something). I don't want to be rude but some people call things by a certain name when they really aren't.

Next -- if it's just a DSL modem/router in a single box, you're going to need to configure it so your client PCs can access it. Try to get us some details and we can help you figure it out (brand name and model). Also, we need some details on what IP addresses you have assigned to the "router" and the client PCs.

Also, be advised that some switches have a selector for a straight-thru or cross-over cable. Rules of thumb can mess things up sometimes.

Our office with about 50+ workstations is considering getting a DSL connection for internet connectivity of workstations and servers. Our potential DSL provider is providing us with 5 static IP addresses, 4 for our servers and 1 as the gateway for our workstations.

I'm not quite sure what kind of hardware I need. I'm thinking something like a router. Right? Can anyone recommend a particular brand/model or tell me where I can get more info? Klotzki

Smiledr, what you might need to do is configure all PC's with a LAN IP of something like 192.168.10.24, 25, and so on... with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 which it seems you have. the NIC is your PC when it comes to the concern of the network. always will be the same. Next you will want to set up your default gateway to be the IP address of the router that was provided by the ISP. then you want to set up your DNS configuration of the DNS server(s) that your ISP should have provided to you then disable wins configuration and make sure that the use DHCP for wins is not checked. This works for me. Hope this helps. its also recommended that you use a patch cable for the connection from the switch to the PC's and not a straight through (Straight through matches pin for pin and a patch cable although matches pin for pin has a different wire scheme). USe 568B scheme witch is on both connectors white/orange,orange,white/green,blue,white/blue,green,white/brown,brown. This supports 100Mbps LAN speed.

I currently have SBC Yahoo DSL with an Efficient Networks Speedstream 5360 Ethernet Modem. I access my DSL connection with "Enternet 300". This works just fine. However, I recently tried to install a D-LINK DI-704 Router to hook up my two other PCs. When I PING the router, its fine. However, I cannot access DSL when the router is part of the configuration. When I remove the router, all is fine. I checked out the firmware upgrade for the Speedstream 5360 Modem, however, the part number is different for the upgrade. Does anyone know if this modem has router connection issues?

Thanks

Not sure about this ISP or hardware but..

Some ISP's only allow access based on the MAC address of the network card that was originally connected to the service. Many routers now provide a method to clone the MAC address. If this router has this capability, put in the MAC address of your network card that was originally used to connect to the service.

You can get the MAC address by typing:
winipcfg (win9x & Me) or
ipconfig /all (WinNT, 2K, or XP)
in a dos prompt or command prompt window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back