Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL on a 2524,2525 router

Status
Not open for further replies.

gk608

Technical User
Dec 27, 2002
US
I have DSL at home and am wondering is it possible to run DSL on a Cisco 2524? The router is modular so do I need a module. I am just a beginning student(4th semester Cisco academy) and am trying to build a lab that I can also use at home. At school they have internet access through a 2500 router but have a T1. That's just a little out of my price range. The router has one AUI port, one console port, and one aux port. Can I hook my DSL modem up to the aux port and get internet access that way?

Thanks

may be you need AUI converter to convert you AUI to ethernet ? Finally you may use various xDSL modem with ethernet port (Pargain,MaxModem,Comtrend and so on)

I would sell the 2524 since the expansion cards are hard to find and expensive when you. do. Get a 2514 which is a dual port ethernet router with 2 serial ports. This way you can hook up to the cable and have the serial ports to mock up a WAN connection. The average price of a 2514 is around 350 dollars right now on ebay.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

You cannot connect the DSL modem to the AUX port. It might even damage the port on the router.

You can use the AUI port on the router to connect to the DSL modem but you need a media converter. has such devices but they are no cheap (LE3011A or LE3010A). Call them, tech support is free!

For home DSL the best router is something from the 1700 series and that is because you can have 2 ethernet ports on the same router for a decent price. This is a new product and still not cheap enough for someone that is just trying to learn about Cisco gear.

What I did, I bought two cheap (less than $200 each on Ebay) 1602 (1 Ethernet + 56K CSU/DSU) and connected them back to back. You can do a lot of experiments with this simple setup.

Home net --> (Eth)1602(56K) --> (56K)1602(Eth) --> ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back