Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL newbie needs help sharing connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

caltex66

Technical User
Oct 26, 2002
AU
Hi all, i am currently using 56k to browse the internet and i have 2 computers hooked up with a direct cable connection, no hub involved. I am thinking of getting ADSL but i am unsure of how i would be able to share this connection between my 2 computers. As i understand it simply installing another network card isnt enough, is this correct? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Here's how I did it:
1. You need a router. There a lots of good routers out there, I use a linksys. The router allows you to connect more than one computer to dsl at a time and it also provides some firewall protection.
2. connect your dsl modem to the router then run ethernet cabling to each computer (or you can go wireless)
3. you will need an ethernet LAN card for each computer.
4. the router should come with all of the documentation you need to setup up the router to modem communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back