Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL Modem.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

macten88

Technical User
May 11, 2004
US
A friend of mine can't get online with his dsl. I'm going over there in a couple of hours with my laptop. He's not using a router.

Can I plug my laptop into his dsl modem and get on line as if it were a router? That way I could quickly narrow it down to either his pc or his isp/modem.

The answer is maybe. If the DSL provider is doing MAC address filtering (some have, but I don't know if they still do), then you will not be able to connect your laptop and expect to work.

But I would take the laptop anyway. Even if they are doing MAC address filtering, you may be able to call tech support and have them change the address for the duration of your test.

pansophic

thanks for the info pansophic. I was able to connect my laptop and download the driver I/he needed.

I'll tell you, Dell's driver disk was the biggest piece of junk I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back