Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dsl modem keeps breaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

XWalrus2

Programmer
May 27, 2002
US
I have AOL with DSL, and i have an actiontec home DSL modem. I suspect that there is somthing wrong with our phone line, as I have had to send back four different modems. Every time, the modem is working fine for about 2-3 weeks, and then the ready light starts blinking, indicating it can't establish a connection. All four times, I have called AOL, and there has not been an outage on any of these occasions. I live in Georgia, and i am wondering what is breaking these modems. It seems spontaneous (no bad weather), and i think it may just be the bad quality of the phone lines here. Any suggestions?

I would say it is not a hardware issue. Is this in your house? What type of cable is ran? If you have old cable, there can be noise on the line, not audible, that can knock a DSL out. Did you have your DSL installed, or was it a self-install? Usually there is some point-of-contact locally, so if necessary you can have a tech come check it... Thanks,

Matt Wray

Matt may be on the right track here...I too would agree that this is lees likely a modem issue and more of a cable/connectivity issue. Typically if a circuit continues to degrade as yours seems to be, then sealing current can be applied to 'clean and dry' the line. If you're running ADSL with a POTS splitter, then that would not be necessary unless you have a dedicated circuit just for the ADSL. If it's SDSL, then ask to have the sealing current sent down the line (just be sure to remove the modem first).

AOL's policy is to send a tech out to verify a good dsl before they will send you a new modem, I don't know how you were able to recieve 4 units without a tech visit.You need to find out the strength of you're noise margin(NM) either from a tech, your isp or by using the diagnostic feature of your modem. If the NM drops below 7 the modem will lose sync and start flashing, a 12 to 25 NM would be great.AOL did have a problem with these Actiontec USB MODEMS(overheating problem) and replaced them with either a Broadxent(ethernet & usb) modem or an Actiontec (ehternet & usb)you can connect via ethernet or usb.I think your basic problem is a weak signal. "never hack a crack for he may crack and hack back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back