Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dsl issue - I need guidance - had a bad experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjwilldohisbest

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
US
I would like some input about something.

I called up my ISP for dsl service back in October and was told it would take 2 to 4 weeks to establish a dsl connection. About 5 weeks later I receive a postcard from my ISP telling me that DSL is available in my town, so I go ahead and recall my ISP's services to order the dsl modem and software. I was told that the modem would ship 7 to 10 business days. Come to find out no connection had been made through my phone company for the service when I recalled my ISP on Dec 12th, saying that my phone company didn't offer the dsl service and that they redistributed their services, fine no prob, I'll switch companies then.

I was told by my ISP to switch to another phone company which they work with which I did and I waited for the modem to come through the mail, for the second time.

Today, Dec22nd, according to my ISP I placed two orders but no one responded to my request and to reapply for the dsl service a third time online, which I did. After doing so I felt unsure and called up my ISP's service number 10 minutes after reappliying for the third time This is three times I have ordered dsl service and now they tell me that the phone company they told me to go with doesn't accept dsl?!!? UUUHH, can someone one tell me what would be a great alternative provider for high speed service? I have been trying for well on three months with my ISP and I don't know if there is a problem with brain functions here but it really does get irritating when you are told one thing and literature comes through the mail that explicitely confirms a service is available in the area and that materials will be sent your way, then someone tells you otherwise, not them telling you until you make the initiative in calling back!! . I wouldn't mind if I didn't qualify in the first place for dsl, but why the dickering around? Why two different stories from zillion different sources? I now will be reswitching to my other phone company and after three months I have no dsl and will not appear to get it even though as a shock I was told that verizon DOES have a broadband connection. I am totally lost. All I would like is a faster connection and straight facts from my ISP. I already thanked an ISP worker over the phone for his time and for nothing.
I'm really confused and aggrevated :-( I never thought this would be a difficult task to get a high speed connection but I guess it is? I wrote a letter back to my ISP and received a response saying:

"I understand you have complaints about (name withheld) specifically with the DSL service. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Your opinion makes a difference.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced.

What does this mean? They apologize and then thank me? uuhhh. I do not see any type of business etiquette within this structure here. Either this place wants me as a customer, or they don't, which is it?
I'm going to get me a few beers I think, I need to relax.

Has anyone ever experienced this before?
I would really appreciate any feedback from this.

Take care and happy holidays.

RJ

I know how you fell. A few months ago I was in the market for DSL. I first tried to go with the ISP I had(Big mistake), Earthlink. I put in the first order and they told me it would be a few weeks so I waited. After a month with no DSL I called them up and asked what was going on. Apperantly the order had never gone through so I put in another order. About a month later again nothing. I call them up again and they tell me that I have something called a "damlo" on my line and I can't get DSL(should had told me that 2 months ago). I try to to get the "damnlo" removed and my phone company told me that the ISP has to put in the work order for it to get removed and my ISP told me that I have to do it. After yet another month I get sick of getting the run around and I call another company. I put in an order in with Speakeasy.net a few weeks later I'm hooked up. They may be more money but it's worth it for the quality of the line and work.
Check out for more dsl information

Hi Nar.

The funny thing about this, even to this present day, aol is still offering me dsl cards through the mail, go figure.

RJ

its no wonder so many ISP's have gone under. Not to mention the shrinking number of players for the DSL market.

The sad truth is that most people you get on the phone, even in the big telcos, don't know for sure if the service is available in your area. Only the folks who do the turnups and the techs who work on getting your lines working really know, but you're not going to get one of them on the phone. Plus I wouldn't even consider going online to order DSl. Too many of these end up in the bit bucket somehow.

My advice, stick with the larger companies (not as likely they will go under which happened to me the first time I had DSL). Prefereably deal with your local telco as they can probably set up your lines with less hassle since they own the local loop copper.

Or look for cable if available.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back