Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL/Hub Connection Problems (Sympatico Access Manager???)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clop

Programmer
Oct 26, 2002
CA
ISP/Service: Sympatico (High Speed Edition) - DSL
Connection Software: Sypatico's Access Manager
Number of Computers: Three
Windows 95 (for remaining two).
Switch(Hub?): Kingston (KNS501/WG)

Ultimately I am trying to connect three computers to a hub(only two will have internet connections), which will then be connected to my DSL modem and then obviously the internet.

Three Computers -> Hub -> DSL Modem -> Internet
(I have read from various sources the above interface should work for my ISP).

My problem is that I can't even connect one computer through my hub to my modem. Access Manager times out while trying to connect to my ISP.

The type of cables I am using is not the problem as I have tried every possible combination of straight through and crossover. Also whether I use the uplink port or not has no effect on the result. I would assume that all I would need are straight through cables. Crossover cables do not even create a connection between the hub and the modem, while straight through do.

All the network cards are configured properply and I can get a direct connection through the DSL modem for both of the computers I plan to connect. Also, all three computers can successfully communicate through the hub with each other.

My best guess is that my problem lies with the software I use to connect to my ISP. I have heard of problems with Access Manager regarding Internet Connection Sharing, but nothing related to my specific problem.

Trying out some alternative connection software is something I am willing to try. Alhtough, I would definately prefer if first anyone could help clarify why this isn't working and other alternatives I might try(not involving changing my network design, unless someone can point out a flaw in it). Any other helpful information anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Clop,

Two observations:

1. I believe [not positive] Sympatico DSL is PPPoE which is generally one IP address. That's why you can get on when directly connected. PPPoE needs connection software of some sort on the computer (Sympatico Access Manager, WinPOET, RASPPPoE, etc) to make the connection or a router which handles the connection handshaking. It generally does not work with a hub unless you have DHCP from Sympatico adn multiple IP addresses.

2. Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) uses one computer as the host and the other computers are the clients. The host must have two network interfaces since it is doing the function of a router and proxy. The connections then would be
Internet -> DSL Modem -> Host -> Hub -> Other Computers
It will not work as you described it.

Here are some resources to help out in the set up.

Hope thjat helps.
The Old Man

Thanks for posting the question. I just purchased a D-Link DI-604 broadband router to connect our two computers thru the Bell Sympatico Speed Stream DSL MODEM.

Sympatico sells the D-Link DI-704, but, per their TSR, offer NO SUPPORT. Some manager should be taken to task for that no brainer decision.

I run WinNT 4.0/SP6a and the other (as yet to be dealt with) runs Win98.

The problem begins, as you suspected, with the DHCP and that starts in Control Panel-Network-Protocols-Settings-TCO/IP-Settings. Change setting from Specifiy an IP address to Obtain an address from a DHCP Server: This is required so router can assign available IP address to each computer starting with 192.168.0.1-9

Note: The DSL MODEM's IP address is set by Sympatico software to 192.168.1.1 which is different.

Note: You can view the IP configuration by open a DOS prompt window and typing ipconfig <Enter>, or ipconfig/all <Enter>. This will list the NIC, router, modem, and connection details.

I positively determined that firewalls must be disabled to access and configure the DI-604. If you have such software, like Internet Alert 99, etc. disable it before attempting the router install.

I am continuing the foray into sympatico lala land on this and will post the results.

If anyone has succeeded please post the procedures.

Hope this helps some?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back