Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclerico

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2005
US
I currently have a 1.5/768 ADSL connection coming to my home. I want to get either a Cisco 837 or a 1720 with a WIC-1ADSL so that I can scrap their Next Level Communications modem (I believe it is now Motorla). I called the help desk of my provider to ask them the specifics for the configuration; is it PPPoE, PPPoA, or Bridged, what is my VPI/VCI pair, and what are my PPP credentials. The tech paused for a moment and said "you don't need any of that information because you have a static connection into our network". At this point I'm like WTF so I ask again, and he says that I don't need a VPI/VCI pair as only PPPoE, PPPoA, and Bridged mode need those and I don't need any credentials. So I get my IP Addy/SNM/DG/PDNS/SDNS and go on my way.

After doing a little bit of research I came across this article and it looks they are providing Carrier Ethernet over Copper (??) service using Actelis ML600 EAD's.

Will the ADSL port in either the 837 or the WIC-1ADSL support this? If so, what is the proper configuration? Thanks.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

there is nothing; the modem has no web interface at all. i cannot find any documentation at all on this modem (Next Level Communications e2120). i ended up calling the helpdesk back and got some more information. the tech told me that i should have the interface in bridged mode, but again when i asked about vpi/vci he said that the numbers are not needed. there is also no ppp username/password required, only a static ip address. have you ever seen a dsl implementation like this before?

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)

I have not...ask this genius tech what device is currently doing the PPPoE then...this is done over the phone (POTS) via the ATM interface, unless they put the RADIUS server inside the modem...lol. Or wait---maybe they broke in at 2AM and set it up in your attic...lol

Burt

yeah, I'm going to be calling again today to speak with a higher level tech. The wierd thing is that both techs that I spoke with seemed to know their stuff. Although, when speaking with the second tech I said that I wanted to replace the modem with a Cisco router he said that he wasn't familiar with the brand (?!?!?). Perhaps they don't use ATM as their transport mechanism for DSL (sarcasm)?

just got off the phone with a tech (after about 20 minutes of people who can't veer from their support scripts and actually help) and got my vpi/vci pair. they don't use any authentication, they only require my static IP address. well, i guess we'll see how this goes.

exactly, and when I was waiting for the tech to respond with my numbers I said 0/35 or 8/35 and he said nope, they are actually 4/961.

I think there is probably a misunderstanding somewhere. If you are actually on a MAN (metro area network) which is what "Carrier Ethernet Over Copper" means, then you're dealing with a whole other access type. Your modem/router/cpe somewhere down the line connects to the Actelis EAD (Ethernet Access Device) using an Ethernet port with LAN-compatible ethernet protocols. The Actelis setup can provide DSL (and T1, and T3 etc) emulation. To you it may appear that you're getting service off an xDSL DSLAM. Actually, you're a member in a very, very big LAN.
Therefore, the techs you spoke to were right: you only need typical TCP/IP info (address/gateway/dns) within the MAN's range to connect. That's how it appears on their end, even if, as far as you're concerned, it seems you're getting xDSL service.
Assuming all the above is correct, you're very close to the cutting edge of customer-access technology. This is still very new.

Well, it's not a CATV/cable modem setup, though it may seem that way. Don't forget, this is Ethernet. At the heart of the system are layer 3 switches that establish point-to-point connections thanks to VLANS/partitioning, QOS, and Link aggregation. Subjects that have a long and established history (and continuous development) on Ethernet.
Up to a few years ago, such Ethernet MANs were delivered via fiber, due to the distance limitations and noise of copper. That let only customers near the fiber loop as potential targets, as the cost of pulling fiber to the premises was and still is high.
What Actelis did, was come up with very efficient algorithms that give existing copper wire the characteristics of fiber (hence the "Ethernet-Over-Copper" or sometimes they call it EFM, Ethernet First Mile). The little ML 600 box can actually deliver symmetric multimegabit (over 20mbits/s) access to the customer at a very competitive price. Or so it seems to me - my company switched to this service just recently (we use it to access virtual T1s for our existing T1 routers). So far, it works perfectly and transparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back