Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL DUN and VPN DUN in Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
For my DSL connection at home I have to use a dial-up networking connection and that works fine. Then if I want to connect to my machine at work through the corporate VPN I have to use a VPN DUN that I set up in windows. But after connecting to the DSL then trying to launch the VPN connection windows gives errors.

Can I not use 2 DUN simulatanous in Win98?

This worked fine when I was using a cable modem since I got an IP address via DHCP and the VPN connection was the only DUN running at the time.

I know you can do that in WinNT and Win2000... not sure about win98.. anyone else have any idea?

upgrading to NT or 2000 isn't quite an option.. please, can anyone help me out!?!?!!

You are correct - you can not use 2 DUN connections at the same time.

Perhaps you could try a DSL sharing device, such as the ones made by LinkSys, Intellinet or PureData, and then DSL would just be accessed through ethernet/lan.

Please see Microsoft Article # Q184227

<A clip from the article>

CAUSE
-------
This behavior occurs because Microsoft Dial-Up Networking 1.2 only allows two active connections. A connection to a VPN uses two Dial-Up Networking connections: one for the Dial-Up Networking connection itself, and the other for the connection to the VPN.

STATUS
--------
This behavior is by design.

<end clip>

Sir,

I am a bit puzzled why you need to use a DUN connection for you to use DSL. That is designed to be up all of the time. I have DSL through GTE, and my connection is always up, when I boot my PC up I am connected tothe internet.

When I want to connect to work I simply run the script to establist a DUN-VPN to our server, and voila I have a tunnel into our network.

Most of the stuff I need our on the servers (file shares, print shares and database), but if I need to I can use PcAnywhere to connect directly to my work PC. And that too would be done over the tunnel which is much faster than using a modem to dial into my PC.

Please explain your setup more precicely, when you can.

Chris

I use 2 to connect. I dial into an ISP with the first DUN, then launch the second DUN. It gives me 2 DUN monitors in the tray and works great. It's been flawless when connecting to an NT server. I'm having problems using Win98 and VPN to connect to a PIX VPN, but that's a whole other subject.

This is an old thread, but for future users, the confusion is caused because cfauvel apparently isn't aware of the PPPoE (Point-to-Point Prototocol over Ethernet) type of DSL connection. This type uses a dialup-like client to make the DSL connection and receives a dynamic IP address from the service whenever it &quot;dials up&quot;, as opposed to his &quot;always-on&quot; connection which has a static IP address.

You can use VPN over this sort of connection, with varying results. I've found it works quite well in Windows 2000, but have had trouble in Windows 98. With my '98 client I can establish the VPN, ping my remote network, and both telnet and run PCAnywhere connections over it. However, whenever I try to browse over the same connection with IE or Netscape, the VPN connection (but *not* the PPPoE connection) terminates. I'm still looking for answers on that one. . .

Dan

You CAN have 2 DUNs.
What you must ensure is that you have TWO DIAL-UP-ADAPTERS installed in your machine. (even if you have modem, as the 2nd dial up adapter is for VPN only).

The PC treats a VPN adapter as a RAS device (in other words a modem).

If you have DSL & are getting this error you must be getting your IP staticly assigned. Just install a VPN adapter that will obtain the second IP address.

I am having a similar problem. I have a cable connection through my network. I have setup a dial up VPN connection in dialup networking, and when I connect it responds with &quot;the comp you are dialing did not respond....&quot; It works fine on a standard dial up 56k modem....Any ideas?

Have you verified that you can ping the target IP address thru your DLS/cable connection? If not you won't be able to connect by VPN.

Also, do you have any sort of firewall or port blocking set on the cable connection? If so, check the logs and see if any packets to or from the target IP are being dropped and open those ports. I have used MS DUN VPN through several DSL connections, both static and dynamic IP (don't have a cable one to try) and they all work to establish at least the basic connection.

In fact, the static-vs-dynamic IP is a red herring. For the duration of a single connection the IP remains fixed; it only changes when you &quot;dial up&quot; another time, so this has no effect on the workability of a DUN VPN.

*Do* make sure you've got the latest MS DUN (v. 1.4) as some of the earlier versions don't work as reliably. Go to Microsoft's website at to download it.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back