Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL dialin and ppp

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManagerJay

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2000
US
I have a problem which I have not been able to find an answer for, and it has me extremely perplexed.

I am currently using FreeBSD 5.3 and 6.0 to maintain a DSL connection for each of the offices I maintain. The connection is established using ppp.

So I can access the network when the DSL connection is down, and so the phone vendor can access the phone system, I am trying to add a dialup connection to the server.

I have modified /etc/ttys to listen for a connection. I have also modified /etc/gettytab to call /usr/local/bin/ppplogin.

ppplogin contains the following.
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/ppp -direct incoming

In addition to the lines for the DSL connection, the following was added to the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file. The DSL connection is always active.

incoming:
set device /dev/cuaa0
set ifaddr 10.129.X.Y 10.129.A.B 255.255.255.0
enable pap
enable chap
allow users *

I am dialing in using Windows XP.

When dialing in, I do not see tun1 created, and the Windows system hangs at Verifying Username and Password. Then, returns error 721.

I have set log Phase tun IPCP CPP Chat CCP command set in the default section of the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file, but nothing is logged. This is leading me to believe the ppp connection is not being established, or recognized, when the Windows system is dialing in.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back