Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL DHCP / STATIC ADDRESS USE

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSSTCO

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2003
US
The campus has a 3.0/512 DSL; I believe the router to be a Zyxel.
This supports 4 buildings on the campus. All address are provided via DHCP. I want buiding 1 thru 3 to continue to be DHCPd from the phone-co provide DSL equipment. I need to build a network in building 4. Therefore I need 150 static addresses. I want the first 105 address to remain DHCPd for buildings 1,2&3. All remaining 192.168.1 address will be static for building 4. I do not want to convert the DSL router to a bridge and install an additional router because I do not want to be responsible for uptime / problems in the other buildings. I am a user of the service just as they are. The DSL router is in an area controlled by a seperately funded network team. I just want a feed from them.
The problem here is that the phone co said they cannot provide a DHCP/STATIC configuration. Isn't this just an EXCLUDE command or a form if DHCP SERVER POOL IP AND DHCP SERVER POOL SIZE??? I know the router commands are unique to the vendor, but the concept is the same.
Any Ideas?
Thank You

Doug
Dept Strategic Systems
Center for Strategic Leadership

The 192.168.1.x network address is a private LANA IAPA subnet.

The router, no matter who provided it, is NAT provisioning through DHCP address from a start and end range. Nearly every other address if properly connected is available as a static IP.

This is not a phone company, or ISP issue. Depending on the Subnet mask, you have available, system-wide, 253 eligible HOST addresses, of which an indeterminate number are being used by the Xyzel router's DHCP scope.

I think you should start your consideration with asking why Building 4 needs static IP assignments. DHCP is there for a reason, as maintaining 150 static IPs over even a short period of time is exhausting work. Furthermore, it would force your provisioning to a higher, and more costly, level, to accomodate this reservation.

With respect, call the IT department of your campus, and see if your entire network should not be reconfigured to accomodate the needs of a growing campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back