Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL connectivity keeps dropping

Status
Not open for further replies.

epm98j

Technical User
Sep 28, 2002
US
Okay,
Here it goes. I have a DSL conection that is steady when I have 1 PC connected to run its tests. When the customer hooks up his network equipment [Not really sure what he is using] it kills the connection causing it to bounce about every 2 minutes or so. It is a CE150 Copper Mountain DSLAM going to a Copper Mountain Rocket bridge. I verified that there is connectivity and the system runs fine when his equipment is not on it. Main question is:

Is it possible that his equipment can be shorting out the line somehow over the hub port on the bridge?

While it won't "short" anything, I have seen in the past where a bad NIC will cause a flood of packets that will cause the circuit to reset itself in order to clear buffers. Another possibility is a virus in the second PC. Other possibles include bad patch cables (poor connections/wrong cable type), bad port on a hub, etc.

I thought that as well....I forgot to mention that all he is using is dummy terminals [no NIC installed]. as I did mention, when his equipment is not on it then the connection remains steady. I can hear the DSLAM at the bridge location clear as day. I tried to change ports on the DSLAM and it kept bouncing. What else do you think....I am stumped.

He's using "Dummy Terminals?" or Dumb terminals, as in RS232 standard connection type. If so, he may have bad pins in a DB25 or DB9 serial connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back