Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL connection to a small NT 4.0 Network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pops109

Technical User
Nov 14, 2001
US
We have a small network - one server and 10 workstations thru a Hub. Currently each WS has its own 54k modem. We are getting a DSL line and would like to convert the network over so that each WS can use the DSL line.
Can anyone offer any advive or references on how to go about this? What equipment is needed? We are getting a DSL modem. I think the DSL line goes to the modem then to the hub, but after that i have no idea what hardware and software are needed.

would probably consider a small Cable/DSL router with DHCP built in, assuming you don't allready have a dhcp server running on the network... you can always daisychain off the router to a 5 or 8 port switch.... this will also help to increase the speed on your network to get away from the hub and move to switches...

Mike

Thanks Mike
Your information is a help. Unfortunately, I do not know enough about the all the devices (cable modem, router, switch, server,) get connected together so that each workstation can use the one DSL line. I can't seem to find any information that can take me thru the process step by step.
Again, thank you for your help.
John

DSL Modem to BroadBand Router to your existing Hub is enough.

(if you have not purchased the Modem, a D-Link DSL500 is a combined modem/router, simplifing it somewhat) The one thing you can't give for your heart's desire is your heart. - Lois McMaster Bujold

...somewhat depends upon the operating systems in use. Newer is better. Remember that Windows 95, 98, ME are consumer operating systems. The newer W2K and XP have Internet Connection Sharing and automates network setup and are generally more reliable.

You may have the fun of buying a few books and sitting down with a warm computer and figuring out how all this works. Basic networking is fun but not for someone who would like to start from scratch and get it done in an hour or so.

Generally, if one does not like details such as a PC presents, then the patience demanded to see it through may be too great. Your boss would have to be on your side here, as these things sometimes require trial and error in the process of discovery.

If time is of the essence, you may want to hire the work out--this may cost $120/hour for basic computer support on site and may take a hour or a few hours, but it will probably work for you then.

Yours,
Mike

The simple outline...
Go out and get a little Linksys, Netgear, SMC ... router/NAT box. Hook it up between the DSL modem and your network hub. Read and follow the instructions.

More detail...
There are lots of little router boxes out there. They all provide Network Address Translation services so your entire network (up to 250+ machines) can operate behind 1 IP address. Most of the "home" market ones will do the job and are available for as little as $50 after rebate. Don't worry about the number of ports since you already have a network and I assume you have one port free on your existing hub.

Hopefully TCP/IP is already installed on your network. If so configure the internal IP address on the router to a IP in that range (idealy xxx.xxx.xxx.1). Then set the gateway IP's on all the client PC's to the router's internal IP. Set the client PC's DNS settings to your ISP's DNS IP's and that just about covers the internal network. At this point you should be able to bring up the router's web configuration interface on any client PC's web browser.

As far as the external network there are a lot of variables. All of then should be covered either in the documentaion that came with the router or online. is a great resource.

One thing NOT to do is expose ANY windows machines to the directly to the Internet. Just read up on Nimda, CodeRed and the rest...

If you need more help - post again.

Best'O'Luck

Thanks for all the info.
We should be trying to hook it up next week when our DSL line is available.

Just thought I would throw in my $0.02 here.

In all reality, the only way you are going to get this to work without asking your ISP for 1 IP address per computer, is to run everything through one of your windows computers (preferably XP). This is how I did it.

I have one XP computer with 2 NIC cards. One NIC goes to the hub where all other computers are connected, and the other NIC card goes to the DSL modem.

The NIC card that goes to the DSL modem gets its own IP address from your ISP, the other computers and 2nd NIC card should have an IP address of 192.168.0.x 255.255.255.0.

In your network properties on the XP box, you enable internet connection sharing on the NIC connected to the DSL modem.

Now everyone will be able to surf the net and check their email all at the same time through your DSL connection.

I hope that is what you were looking for. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shnypr-small.gif

tech@shnypr.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the info.
We are about to try to get this running. Hopefully next week. I will let everyone know how we make out.
John

>In all reality, the only way you are going to get this to >work without asking your ISP for 1 IP address per >computer, is to run everything through one of your windows >computers (preferably XP).

The above is a BAD idea. Don't cheap out. Go get a small router/NAT box. You will only need 1 IP from your ISP and you won't have to expose a machine to the Internet.

That is reality!

Wires idea is only slightly better than mine.

Here is the true and honest reality:

When I first got DSL and didnt know jack about internet, then I did the internet connection sharing with WinME, and it worked excellent. I got a private IP from my ISP to use, so it wasnt exposed to the internet anyway.

Then a couple months later my bro bought a linksys switch/router for about $200. It had a 4 port switch built into it, and it was excellent cause you could NAT with it.

Then about 1 year later, I bought a Linux box for about $200 and did IP masquerading with it, plus I setup a dial in so I could dial-in to it from anywhere and get internet, plus I set up a webserver/email/dns server on it, plus windows shares, plus even a VPN to it from work, and it has never crashed on me once, and I have never had to reboot it for anything.

And the linux box (depending on the website you go to) outperforms the routers when doing NAT.

SO IN ALL REALITY the coolest/fastest/best thing to do is Linux because of all the cool options you have when you do that, and performance is spectacular.

But if you are new to this stuff and dont really care about anything except that your 3 computers can get on the internet, and dont really want to spend any money, then just enable internet connection sharing with XP or ME. And if you want to be a little more adventerous, do what Wires said, and if you want to be absolutely adventerous and try out some really cool stuff, go with Linux.

But any of those 3 ways will accomplish your internet sharing for all of your computers. I just thought that the windows way was by far the simplest.

And that my friend, is the absolute reality.
shnypr-small.gif

If this network is going to be connect full time to the DSL connection, I would also seriously consider some sort of firewall device or software. Too many bad guy's out there trying to get into these small networks and either destroy or rob significant data. Question to you is, how valuable is the data on this network.

Cheers,

Tim Schuy

Thanks for all the info. Remember we are running NT 4.0 not 2000 or ME.

John

NT 4.0 will accept DHCP addresses. SMC, Lynksys, DLINK, and others manufacture Broadband router/switches that will allow you to assign the IP address provided by your Telco to the routers external interface. One of the internal interfaces should be connected to your existing hub via a crossover cable. Configure the BB router/switch as per included simple instructions. Set all NT systems to automatically get ip (DHCP) and viola! your set.

You should keep your internal network off the external network for security reasons. The only box that is connected to the DSL/external network should be your router. Your internal network will be assigned private IP addresses such as 192.168.0.n.

has some good articles on setting this kind of network up.

Hope this helps.

I want to thank everyone for your support. I gave your info to another who used it to help set up our system last week. Since we were not using DHCP, he decided to assign a static address to the router. We then reassigned new addresses to our server and each of our workstations and shared printer. Everything worked well accept for ACAD. We had to get a new authorization number from Autodesk. After I put the new number in everything works.
Thanks again to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back