Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL connection drops when two Routers connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceil32

MIS
Apr 8, 2008
IE
I have a small workgroup of XP clients and two W2K servers.

I need to access the servers remotely.

I have a Draytek Vigor 2800 Router and I've configured the WAN interface with the Static IP from my ISP.

I can access the Router from the Web.

I've installed VNC on the two Servers

I have Port forwarded ports 5631 & 5632 (VNC ports) from the Draytek Router

The Netopia is connected to a LAN port on the Draytek, DSL cable is connected to the DSL port on the Draytek. Draytek is connected to a Netgear switch.

There are approx ten clients all with their Gateway pointing to the LAN address of the Draytek.

This setup worked fine in Location 1

We recently moved to a new location and I tried the same setup - same DSL provider etc

Problem is that the Router keeps going offline intermittently - sometimes up for ten minutes, sometimes for an hour. It happens overnight too, so it's not something thats caused by traffic.

The only thing thats changed is the DSL line and the location

If I connect the DSL line directly to the Netopia router, Internet access does not drop, but connected under the old setup, it drops every few minutes

The DSL provider have changed the copper, confirmed the line is ok...

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks..

If it's a Vigor, you can see the DSL loop attenuation and signal to noise ratio, are these OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back