Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL and Wireless Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLADY218

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
US
Hello Everyone..

I just installed a wireless 802.11b network with a DSL static IP. The connection worked great and everything was running fine............UNTIL

The internet no longer worked. I restarted the router and it works for a few hours, and then crashes again, and i need to reset the router in order to get it up again.

What could this be

2) I have a Coupler between 2 phone lines that go to the inline and modem for distance that i needed. (is this a problem with DSL). Im also using the router as a print server.

Any help would be great Thank you.

well when it goes down, areyou able to ping the router? Then try to ping your gateway. If you are not able to pinfg the router, then I would say its the router. If you can ping it and not ping the gateway, then you need to speak to your ISP. If your using PPOE your isp may discount you connection after a short time of no use.

MCSE CCNA

neutec thank you for responding..

I can still ping the router(internal Gateway) however I can not ping the external Gateway) I am using a static IP address from verizon. The thing that gets me is I restart the router (not the modem) and then its back up.

I appreciate any help on this issue

Thanks

What type of router do you have? Do you have a firewall installed? Your router may be being hit by a virus. Meaning that your router cant handle all the traffic and the logs fill up. Have you checked the logs on the router?

MCSE CCNA

Sounds like your DSL is fine if restarting your router is what re-establishes your connection. Download the latest firmware for your router. Also, enable logging in the router and review what happens before the disconnect event.

Thanks for your responses.

I will be going out to that site tommorow. I have an SMC 802.11b router with a 3 port switch and print server. Im running NAT from the router. I will check for the log but last time I dont remember seeing one. I will try your suggestions and get back.

Thanks agian

Thanks, Ive upgraded the firmware then reset the router to default and input all my settings over. For now seems to be ok. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back