Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL and LAN Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

smarch

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2002
US
I have a situation with a travel agency.
They are hookedup with United Airlines that has a direct connection to a phone line. This phone line is hooked to the hub and the hub to a router. All the pc's are hooked to the hub as well. Everything worked fine but was slow.

In the meantime they installed DSL. They have the DSL line
hooked to the hub and one (server) pc hooked to the dsl modem.

Not all the applications are working now on the DSL pc and I question if they are even getting the faster speed on the dsl. Not sure how the hub handles that.

Im beginning to wonder if I need two nic's? Any other advise out there?
The dsl pc is XP and all the other pc's are win98. Thanks!

If what they are attempting is internet connection sharing through the XP box as a server then you are probably talking 2 nics, one to talk to the DSL and one to talk to the hub.
But it depends on what the server is really supposed to do. There are alternative hookups that could be DSL to router to hub, and everything else is plugged to the hub.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Actually what they are using the xp for email server. They want the email to come to that and they have the client pc's outlook express configured to use the xp ip. This is not working.
I think I can solve the email problem but Im not so sure this setup if very efficient.
They would like to use the dsl for all thier internet and email traffic and the dedicated line for their airline reservations so they need a way to go back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back