Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL and Faxing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xanadu

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
CA
My primary Internet connection is DSL, OP sys Win98 SE.
Please let me know if it is possible, to send and receive faxes through my 56k modem without physically changing the cables in the modems between my 56k internal, and DSL modem.
I would like to be able to send and receive faxes, but as far as I know, my DSL connection is not allowing me to use fax. Is there a splitter or switch available on the market for this..??? Could it be done without dropping the connection with my DSL? Thanks...
xanadu

You can buy a filter/splitter, which has a normal phone input, and a adsl input. Personally, I leave both the DSL & 56K modem cables plugged in. To use the fax, I just disconnect my DSL connection (On screen, not physically), then fax.

Why would you disconnect your DSL in order to fax? A 56K modem and a DSL modem are two separate physical devices that operate in different frequency domains on the telephone line. They can both be operated simultaneously without issue.

I've never had any problems sending a fax while connected to the net.
pansophic

My DSL connects through Dial-up Networking, as does my 56K modem, and I didn't think they would both work simultaneously. I've never tried it, so I'll give it a go! Thanks.

Thanks Pansophic. You're right, I can fax without disconnecting my DSL. Something else I've learnt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back