Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL & PCAnywhere 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterC

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2001
US
Hi,
I have what I'm sure will amount to a simple question:
I have a user that connects to the internet via DSL. I need to be able to connect to that user with PCAnywhere but I need to know the IP address.
How can the user determine his IP address? --------------
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

More information is needed. Is the user using a DSL/Cable router or is the user's pc directly connected to the DSL modem? What OS?

If you need the users IP address and s/he is using a DSL/Cable router it will be programmed into the router.

If the user is direct connected do the following:

Win9x: Start -> Run -> Winipcfg -> ok
Drop down the adapters box and find the user's network card.
The ip address will be displayed

Win2k: Start -> Run -> cmd -> ok
At the c: prompt type "ipconfig /all" and hit "enter". Read the IP Address

Hope this helps.

Roger

The user has Windows XP and the computer is connected to the DSL modem with a USB cable. --------------
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Use the win2k procedure. That should get you the ip address you need.

My DSL ISP had blocked PCAnywhere ports initially and I had to fight to get them opened. Just a warning in case you get the IP and still cannot connect.

Roger

I thought you can change the port in PCAnywhere? I could be wrong since I haven't used it in a loooong time. If you can't get it to work try Remote Administrator. Changing the port it quite easy. Also, if you want you user to get their IP easier you can have them download and install some cheap programs that sit in the systray and just keep you updated to what your IP is. Actually, if they are running Remote Administrator this will show you your IP whenever you mouseover it in the systray.

What is Remote Administrator?

Yes, it is easy to change the port. My DSL ISP had blocked all non standard ports in the name of "security". Over-kill IMHO, but I suppose if a person is a non-techy home user it may be nice.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back