Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DS_E_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_RIGHTS Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidlfliang

Programmer
Oct 3, 2002
AU
I have two servers. Both are running NT 4.0 with latest service pack. One is domain controller, the other is exchange server.

I'm trying to set up Alternative Recipient on exchange server 5.5. However, it alwasy give me DS_E_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_RIGHTS error.

I logged into exchange server with domain administrator and password. (this is the account I always use to log into both servers).

The domain administrator is a member of the Domain Admins group. In the permission setting of exchange server, at all levels(Organisation, Site and Server), Domain Admins Group has Admin Role, ExchangeServ user(Domain user as well) has System Account Admin).

Based on the above settings, domain administrator should be able to change the alternative recipient.

But, why it always gives me this error?

I tried to add domain administrator to the permission settings at organisation level explicitly, it gives me the same error.

I tried to log on as local administator on exchange server, it even doesn't have the right to run exchange Admin program.

I wasn't the person originally who installed the exchange server, so I don't know the password for exchange system account user ExchangeServ. I can change the password for this account on my domain controller, but I'm afraid changing password will break the exchange service.

Can anyone help on this matter?

Thanks in advance.

David Liang

make sure that your account has Container rights of Permission Admin from WITHIN exchange.

There are several areas within Exchange where you have to be granted admin rights.

NT security is not translative into exchange. You have to manually apply them.

So.. you must log into the Exchange as the Exchange Service account ... use the Exchange Administrator MMC and highlight the site -- go FILE | Properties, and look at the security sections .. make sure you are in there .. then in the site .. do the same.. then on the server again ..

ONce you've done all that ... log off .. log in as yourself and try it.

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back