Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DS4800 storage partitioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

J1gh2

MIS
Jul 7, 2004
GB
Guys

I would appreciate your ideas and suggestions.

I need to create storage partition on a DS4800 server so that two servers (one production and the other standby) have access to the same set of disks. This is easily done. However, there is a requirement that the standby server also has access to another set of disks that are not (and should not be) visible to the production box. For example, nodes A and B share hdisk2 (though only one of them can mount the disk at any given time) but B also needs to own hdisk3 independently of A.

The problem is that the original configuration defined host A as an individual host (and without storage partitioning) instead of it being member of a host group. For now, I have added node B`s hba`s to A so that they are seeing the same set of disks but I cannot assign hdisk3 to B because the hba is already assigned to A, which is production so I can’t play with it.

Do I need to take the production box (A) off line and recreate the host as a host group and use the storage partitioning option? Would the data remain intact once I remap? As mentioned earlier, this is a production box so I am looking for minimum disruption.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back