Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DS4500

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEaix

MIS
Jun 7, 2007
US
I have a DS4500 Disk system with one(1) 710 drive tray (mgmt won't by a second tray)with 14 279GB drives attached to a IBM P550. I'll have three(3) databases running on it (1 Db2 and 2 oracle 10g). This will be a DR site with actually only one of the DB's active everyday, unless we have a DR issue. The DB space needed is about 1TB for all of them.

I am thinking that 1 raid5 of 12 disks + 2 hotspares will get the best possible performance with some redundancy. The single LUN would be 2.5 TB. I'mm looking for some advice as to whether this is a viable solution or if splitting out the drives into smaller LUN's with less disks would be better or with them all being on 0ne drive tray if it really makes a whole lot of difference.

You wouldn't want 3 databases that are being used on the same lun. You should have at least 3 luns (1 for each db) and hopefully a raid1 lun for the databases translog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back