Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DS1 E1 connection to CISCO VoIP Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnealtx

Technical User
Jul 26, 2013
US
Trying to figure out how to get a trunk up/running between Avaya Definity G3R (CM 2.2) and a Cisco 3845 with an E1/T1 HWIC installed.

DS1 (TN464F card) trunk is set for ISDN-PRI (E1), signalling group and trunk created. Type is ISDN, A-law in use. Cisco G/W can see signal but the two sides are not talking.

Cisco side is HDB3, CRC, timing external, a law.

DS1 card shows no lights when plugged into Cisco, shows bottom-most amber light when loopback plug is in place.

Probably going to be a bit of trial by error. I would assume this would require a T1 cross over cable and no CSU on either side.

I've got a similar setup with a Cisco 2811. You need a T1/E1 crossover cable and a 120A integrated CSU between the DS1 card and the cable coming from the router. Make sure you have the CSU type set correctly.

Both side are E1, so I would presume a CSU would not be needed - I certainly hope not, because we don't have any and can't get any.

I found/fixed a wiring issue and now have a green status light on the DS1 card, but still fails tests. All UDS1-BD tests pass, but the channels do not. Trunk shows out of service, Near End.

I've tried setting DS1 country protocol to "1" and to "ETSI" with no change. Protocol version is "A" on all forms (DS1, Sig Grp, Trk Grp).

I *think* it may be related to config on the Cisco side, they are set as "EURO" in global ISDN switch type. Other choices are 4ESS, 5E8, 5E8 Teleos, DMS-100, DMS-250, NI2, ETSI SC and a few others.

I may have them try to change the global type and see if it makes a difference.

If you were in the US I would say you should be using NI2. However, I can't speak to things where you are.

I'd suggest that you use QSIG rather tham ISDN/ETSI (yeag - QSIG and ISDN are identical except QSIG is a private protocol)
Use Protocol type B in trunk group and sig group

Set your DS1 (assuming Europe / UK from a-law companding!)
Bit Rate - 2.048
Line coding - hdb3

Signalling mode - ISDN-PRI
Connect - PBX
Interface - Peer-master (You may need ot change this depending on cisco settings)
Peer protocol - QSIG
Side - a

Hope that helps

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Matt - thanks for responding. QSIG is a 'value added' thing, isn't it? I tried doing some sort of QSIG thing at one point of this and it wouldn't let me because we didn't have it set/licensed (and we won't be able to, either - no maintenance contract on the switch).

Can you advise what settings I would need for the signalling group and the trunk group in regards to QSIG? (If I can make it work) I understand that I would have to use protocol "B" for the DS1, Sig Group and Trunk group, correct? I want to say it was the signalling group that kicked back the QSIG as being not installed.

The Cisco is set to EURO in the global config - global options for E1 are EURO and Australian, no QSIG.

The E1 interface is set to PRI EURO. There is a PRI ISO QSIG E1 setting.

On the DS1 I'm currently set to HDB3, network, protocol "A". Sig group is set to ISDN-pri, protocol "A", A-law, etsi, network. Trunk group is set ISDN-PRI, tie, protocol "A", ITC restricted.

I've now just seen how old a software version you have; I may not be much use :-D

Accoprding to my docs - you need "Basic Call Setup" to use QSIG. What you need on the Cisco - I don't know

The signalling group and trunk group are not drastically different but use b as a supplementary protocol.

However, the basic issue I think you have is that you need to make one of your systems act as the CO.

Is your DS1 Connect Set to pbx?

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

I've used PBX as peer-master (gives me the TTC stuff which I don't really know what it is, to be honest) and IIRC correctly I've also tried host and user - but that was without the QSIG.

Just tried the QSIG setup again, upon trying to set protocol B on the signalling channel, I get an error of "QSIG basic supplementary feature not assigned" and it won't let me change it (and can't access the customer-options to change that, either - it kills the communications port).

After many trials and tribulations, we've got the Avaya talking to the Cisco - it was a matter of finding matching configs between the two devices.

I have a new issue that I'll be posting another thread about, but I wanted to drop back in and thank everyone for their help - your comments led me down paths of exploration that resulted in finding those common configurations.

@mnealtx. You should post your config. Many people helped you, now you will help someone in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back