Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DS BASIC Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertRocks

Programmer
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Hi, I recently posted a question regarding DS BASIC. Thank you for the reply. I have discovered that the Datstage system comes with BASIC manual. Its actually quite good. I read a passage in the manual that states the following....

"To create and use a BASIC program, follow theses steps:

1. Use the CREATE.FILE command to create a type 1 or type 19 Datastage file to store your BASIC program source. The RUN coomand uses the filename BP if filename is not speified, so many people…….""

Does anyone know what a File type 1 or 19 is?

It refers to the type of Hashed File - do a search on "Create File Options" in DS Designer for more details.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Actually, a Type 1 file is a non-hashed directory with a built-in name "chunking" mechanism the provides compatibility with old-style (ie 1980's and earlier!) UNIX systems which had a 14 character file/directory naming limitation; this cannot be disabled. A Type 19 file is also a non-hashed directory, but does NOT have a built-in name "chunking" mechanism; the length of file/directory names is limited only by the supporting OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back