Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DS-3 on house cable 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

exverizon

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
US
There's a similar thread here about extending a T1 over a short CAT3 cable; so this is a bit redundant. But I did a site survey where the client had a new, unused 50-pr CAT 3 from the demarc in the basement to his 2nd flr suite through smurf tubing and wanted to have a new DS-3 extended. I'd estimate it would be about 350 ft from A to Z. His existing T1 had been separately run over CAT5 within the same smurf tube as the 50-pr, but I wondered if that was a lot of labor for nothing. After all, a copper pair is a copper pair, right? Wouldn't a DS-3 function fine if extended over CAT3?

DS3 uses 734 Coax cable.

With the cost and speed of a DS3 I would assume a lot of employees rely on it, and would probably be considered a critical circuit, So I run nothing but the correct high quality cable with the correct BNC ends.

The cable is generally very smooth and very easy to run, IF you have a route to get it from point A to point B.

After all, a copper pair is a copper pair, right?"

If so why do we have CAT3, CAT5, CAT6 and the like?

Usually DS-3 runs on coax, not twisted pair.

copper is unbalanced that's why the use coax

[tt]DS3 is only provisioned on fiber or COAX, nothing else! Did you ever see twisted pair feed line to a microwave dish? ...I did not think so!!

....JIM....[/tt]

DS3 requires 2- RG 59 cables(1-transmit,1-receive) 75ohm. BNC connectors

I totally agree that 2 end to end coax's are needed for this to work correctly. Otherwise all sorts of errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back