Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DrWatson and Windows 2000 error (explorer.exe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tammy

MIS
Dec 14, 2000
JM
Hi all,

I've recently installed Windows 2000 on a PC at work.
However, sometimes when windows is started it displays the error "explorer.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows."

the error log has the following information.
Events Source: DrWatson
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4097
Description:
The applicaton, explorer.exe, generated as application erro The error occurred on 03/04/2002 @ 09:04:50. The exception generated was c0000005 at address 778219B0 (VerQueryValueW)

Try checking this thread616-175431 , lots of posts, maybe what your looking for.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Perhaps someone can help me.

I have recently installed the Lynksys router / switch into a home network. The following day the main computer started generating explorer.exe errors. I do not believe that Zone Alarm Pro was added.

I have Reinstalled SP2, IE 6, Scanned the Disk for errors, Defragged, and ran the Norton System Dr.

Clean Sweep is installed on the system, but was installed after installing Win 2000 pro.

The latest error was "Explorer.exe - Application Error: The instruction at "0x77fcb2b9" reference memory at "0x006d0075". The memory could not be written." Click OK to terminate"

The internet browser runs fine. However the exe errors appear when the computer first boots up and whenever folders are browsed.

The Event Viewer only details "the shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer was restarted."

My next course of action is to take DrMaggie's advice and change my explorer command line or to reformat.

Any suggestions would be highly welcomed. Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back