Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dropping drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpr

Technical User
Jan 2, 2004
US
Has anyone heard about a table of wwn/addresses located inside of a 9940B or similiar fiber tape drives? I heard a rumor but cannot find any documentation that said,...

The tape drive has a table of addresses that it will allow read/write access to the tape drive. There is only 16 slots available for these entries. This means that in order for a 17th media server to access this drive that it must wait for one of the existing 16 to drop out of the table. This is suppose to be the explaination as to why tape drives seem to disappear or become no longer functional to a media server.

I've heard stranger things but I wanted to see if this is an urban myth or if someone can supply me with documentation about this.

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states something as certain, that does not make it a fact and that is truth.

I have never heard of a list of wwn in the 9940 or 9840 FC. each drive has its own dedicated wwn which is set at the plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back