Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DropDownList within SelectedItem Template.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheffield

Programmer
Jun 1, 2001
US
Greetings,

Can someone please clue me on how to load data into a DropDownList that is located with a SelectedItem Template? The ItemTemplate contains a LinkButton. However, attempting to populate the DropDownList prior to the LinkButton's Click event ending will produce the "...not set to the instance of an object..." error.

I thought I could put something in the Page_Load() event, but I can't reference a control that, technically, doesn't exist yet.

Code:
<asp:DataList ID="dlst_Test" OnItemCommand= "dlstTest_ItemCommand" Runat="Server">

<HeaderTemplate>    
  <table>
    <tr>
       <td>Requirement</td>
    </tr>
</HeaderTemplate>

<ItemTemplate>
    <tr>
        <td><asp:LinkButton Text='<%# Container.DataItem( "J_Name" ) %>' Runat="Server" /></td>
    </tr>
</ItemTemplate>

<SelectedItemTemplate>
     <tr>
         <td><asp:DropDownList id="drpJ_Name" OnSelectedIndexChanged="drpJ_Name_SelectedIndexChanged" AutoPostBack="True" Runat="Server">
             </asp:DropDownList></td>
     </tr>
</SelectedItemTemplate>

<FooterTemplate>
    </table>
</FooterTemplate>
</asp:DataList>

I understand how to do the actual database stuff. I just need to know how to correctly reference the DropDownList in order to load data into it.

In the OnItemDataBound event for the DataList. Simply declare an event handler for that event, and w/in that event, you can do something like this:
Code:
switch(e.Item.ItemType)
{
  case ListItemType.SelectedItem:
    //get a reference to the object
    DropDownList dl = (DropDownList)e.Item.FindControl("drpJ_Name");
    //you can now bind it like normal
    dl.DataSource = getData();
    dl.DataTextField = "someField";
    dl.DataValueField = "someOtherField";
    dl.DataBind();
    break;
}//switch
You're right... the control doesn't exist in the Page_Load, which is why you must grab it during DataBinding of the DataList control.

:)
paul

penny.gif
penny.gif

The answer to getting answered -- faq855-2992

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back