Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drop Shadow Effect - Pixalated 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TamedTech

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2005
GB
Hello Guys,

I'm a reasonable new comer to the world of illustrator, and i'm having issues with my logo.

I'm trying to apply a drop shadow effect to piece of text that I have converted to outlines.

It appears to very pixalated, and whenever I zoom into the image it appears to pixalate the shadow effect, is this normal behaviour or am I doing somthing wrong?

The next thing I notice is that the shadow effect seems to loose proportion as I expand the logo design, so if I scale it by 500% the shadow still remains 1px thick, but everything else has expanded, how can I set the variables for the drop shadow to match the rest of the logo as it expands?

Thanks guys,

Rob

...before starting a new document and applying effects it is important to set the document effects resolution under the main menu:

effect > document raster effects setting

...you will typically need to set this to:

cmyk > high (300dpi) > transparent > anti alias > preserve spot colours where possible

...under preferences or in the flyout menu of the transform palette ensure 'scale strokes and effects' in turned on so objects scale better...

Andrew

...just to add, if you have applied effects with a low res setting and then change it to higher setting afterwards, your effects are likely to change and will need re-adjusting to look like they were before...

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

That worked a charm, I now have lovely smooth shadow effects.

Thanks,

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back