Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drop down not populated all names

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCM

MIS
Sep 12, 2002
US
Greetings,

We’re currently running access 2016 split database (with individual front-end and shared back-end)

Couple of questions:

1. We have a form with a drop-down whereby users select either P: Providers or C: Clients to populate the name of the provider or the client. However, the list that is populated is not complete (e.g. provider name that starts with the letter (P-Z) did not show in the list. I checked the tables to verify the provider names are up to date.

a. I checked properties > data tab > Record Source is blank
B. In design mode I also checked properties of the object’s name it shows cboType

2. Though we have a login form where users enter their credentials to log in, we noticed just clicking login will let users access to the application (without entering username & password)

TIA

Regards,

OCM

[ol 1]
[li]Most likely, the problem lies in the query you're pulling into the combo box or else a filter you have on the control.[/li]
[li]This is definitely a separate issue. Would be best to post in its own question. You'll need to look at action behind the button: is it a Macro or VBA code? Either way, there should be some conditional
statements, something like (VBA):[/li]
[/ol]
[CODE VBA]
Private Sub Login_Click()

If UserName = vbNullString Then
MsgBox "Missing UserName"
ElseIf Password = vbNullString then
MsgBox "Missing Password"
Else
[green] 'Check the username and password against accepted login credentials
'Go to next form IF credentials are correct[/green]
End If

End Sub
[/CODE]

In the above setup, if either the UserName or Password field is left blank, then you never get to the step of checking the code, and you never get to whatever the next step in the process is.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

kjv1611

Thanks for the reply post.

As per your suggestion (regard to login form issue) I’ll initiate a separate question.

As for dropdown. I learned that Access has a limit to the number of entries (65k records).
We have over 72k records. What would be a better way to redesign this whereby a user enters part of the Provider ID, or to paste the Provider ID etc. the form then populates Provider name and other needed info.?

By the way, I checked 'Notify Me' to get e-mail message whenever this forum is updated. For some reasons, I didn't get e-mail.

TIA

Regards,

OCM

65k records - that's a lot of records for the user to see. "over 72k records" is an insane number for a user to sift / scroll thru.

Can you group those Providers and Clients in some logical way?

Have fun.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Andy,

Thanks for the reply post. That is my goal somehow to enhance the design and I found the following resource that was provided by Allen Browne Link

Couple of questions:

1. I was going to download & try sample mentioned in the resource postcodes for Australia. But for some reasons, I didn’t see the link for download.

2. Allan’s method seems to be the solution for my issue. But, I wasn’t sure what code I need to modify to get this method work in my environment.

TIA,

OCM

Let's say you have a long list of names and you want a user to first select a letter from one combo box, and based on this selection, you want to display all names that start with the selected letter from first combo in the second combo box.

Code:
With cboLetter
    .AddItem "A"
    .AddItem "B"
    .AddItem "Z"
End With

Private Sub cboLetter_Click()

strSQL = "Select FullName from MyTable Where FullName Like '" & cboLetter.Text & "*'"
[green]'Based on this SQL populate a combo with names[/green]

End Sub

Have fun.

---- Andy

Thanks Andy,

How do I go about finding/modifying, or commenting the existing code so I can apply implement the method you suggested? Below is some info looking at the properties:

Name: cboCaseType
Control Source: blank
Row Source: "P";"Providers";"C";"Clients"
Row Source Type: Value List

Please let me know if you need additional info.

TIA

OCM

I do all of my coding using recordsets (no bound controls). More about recordsets in Access here
After you read this, maybe my example above will make more sense.

Have fun.

---- Andy

Andy,

Thanks for the link. I’ll try to adopt your example along w/ the link you provided.

Regards,

OCM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back