Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drop down menu within a dropdown menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chickpea

Technical User
Jul 4, 2007
ZA
Hi There, I'm new to the forum and to flash - which is what brought me here in the first place!

My question is; I have a dropdown menu which is fine, but now I need to make two of the buttons in the drop down have their own drop down options, My drop down menu is a movie clip with the buttons etc inside the movie clip and I've been trying to put another movie clip inside the origional to try simulate my origional drop down but it just won't work, am I asking too much of flash or is there an easer way to do this?

I'm not sure how to do that either! sorry. I renamed my movie clip and now it seems to be working... but its still a work in progress so I will probably be back shortly with a new question! (watch this space -lol) Thanks for trying to help me :)

Ok so I'm back sooner than I thought, its a good thing you can't see my fla file its a confusing mess and what I'm trying to achieve with my limited knowledge is quickly driving me mad!

Let me refrase my question. How do you make a dropdown menu within a drop down menu and then get the buttons to actually work?? It was all looking good until I tried to link my buttons to anything...I tried linking them to movie clips inside the second dropdown menu I tried linking them to a Scene that did'nt work I tried the _root.gotoAndPlay, nothing!

IF you're using button handlers (rollOver, rollOut, etc...) on the movie clip itself, then those will override any nested symbols'(your nested buttons) actions...
You need to use a hitTest on the movie clip, rather than button handlers...

If you don't have some web space where you can upload your .fla and provide here a link to download it from there, maybe you can mail it to me... Hit my handle above this post for an address...

Regards. FLASH HELP - OPENED FOR BUSINESS!
TO GET YOUR OWN FREE WEBSITE HOSTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back