Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drop down limitations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxGolfer

Programmer
Jul 30, 2002
US
I have been asked to create a simple order app that will draw customer names, products, etc. from other tables. My question: Is there a "practical" limitation for the number of records for a list box/combo box? The one table I have seen has approximately 40,000 records.
If there is a practical limitation, what's the alternative?
Thanks,

Tom

Erm - I think you're somewhat above, the limitation, I mean - think about a user frenetically use an Access dropdown with 40 000 records ...

Joke aside, I've not used anything "that big", but check out this from Allen Brownee Combos with Tens of Thousands of Records

Roy-Vidar

Roy-Vidar,
Your suggestion and the link to Allen Browne worked perfectly, with one exception. After I enter the first 3 characters, I am required to click on the down arrow of the combo box to view the selection. Is there a way to enter the first 3 characters and then hit the Enter key to view the choices?

Thanks,
Tom

Perhaps something along the lines of my last suggestions here thread702-1148671 together with the approach you're using (i e on the count of three or more characters, use a .DropDown on it). I'm not sure, hovewer, how it works if the dropdown is open while you change rowsource, though. I think you'll need to test that (at least expect some flickering).

Roy-Vidar

Thanks.
I've added text AND a tool-tip to enter three characters and Alt DownArrow (didn't know about that). We'll see if they like that. Seems simple to use. If not, I can always use the other option.

Tom

Here's hoping you may have an answer for this one too.
It's similar but different. (??)
I have a combo box to identify different competitors. After selecting the competitor, the selected result creates the RecordSource for another combo box to identify the PartNo. I have this working to this point.

After the PartNo is selected, I need to find our PartNo in a CrossRef table which contains the competitor PartNo and our corresponding PartNo. With our PartNo, I can feed 5 text boxes with data from another table.

Any ideas? Too complicated?
Tom

Why not incorporate the CrossRef table in the RowSource of the PartNo's combo, populating hidden (0 width) columns you may retrieve with the Column property ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Hi FoxGolfer ,
I use a combox with around 90.000 records (all the ports where you can load a container around the world in code used by Evergreen - a big container company). To my surprise, no problem at all - works fast and smooth! Off course scrolling through is no fun. But the user types in the first few letters of the harbour and the whole name or code of the harbour is put in the control.

Pampers - [afro]

you're neven too young to learn

PHV,
Ok, I incorporated the CrossRef and obtained our PartNo. That required a simple change to the CompPN RowSource. The PartNo gets filled in but I need to do more.
When I select the PartNo, I was hoping that the SQL could obtain fields from a different table.

Existing:
Private Sub cboBrand_AfterUpdate()
cboPartNo.RowSource = "SELECT CompPN, OurPN FROM CrossRef WHERE Brand = '" & Me!cboBrand.Value & "'"
End Sub

AND
Private Sub cboPartNo_Change()
Me.txtOurPN.Value = Me.cboPartNo.Column(1)
End Sub

I created a test query using QBE and it worked fine. My question is where do I put the SQL code? Since I'm filling text boxes with the column(x) values, there is no RecordSource to assign the SQL statement, like ...RecordSource = "Select .....

Thanks,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back