Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

drop down form windows to put files in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

obulldog27

Programmer
Apr 26, 2004
US
I would like to create a form that drops down a window when the user clicks on a arrow button on the title bar. I am using vb6-sp6

When the form drops down I want to be able to put a shortcut icons (files) in the windows by draggging or copy/paste.I want to be able to change the title of the title bar based on what type of files are in the container/window. I would like to be able to click on the title bar on a drop down arrow and have the window pull down with my files in them and the arrow button change to up direction so I can click on it again to pull up the window but the title bar still appears so I can know what is in the container/windows. I have search the net for an example but cannot fine anything. does anyone have aney advice on this.

Oh dear, aren't you asking a series of questions in one?
1- create a form that drops down upon click on a button.
2- drop a short-cut icon on the dropped down form
3- form title bar changes depending on type of files
4- have a drop-down arrow button on the title bar
5- the drop down form lists your files.
6- the drop-down button change to upwards
7- clicking the upward button pulls back the drop-down form
8- the title bar remains visible.

This looks like a Swiss army knife you want to make, my friend.
It seems to me you have seen something like this somewhere and wonder how this was done.
You probably saw this on some web page. It's probably done with Java script, not VB.

However, let me try to help:
1. You can control the height property of the form to make it appear like dropping down.
2. Did not say what you want this icon for???
3. Read the last three letters of the file names displayed in the list and define the title accordingly.
4. Have a button on the title bar is not straightforward in VB as far as I know. However, you can have a button 'floating' within the container, and play with its top and left positioning depending on the dropping form, which by the way could include a filelistbox for your files.
5. see the last phrase of 4 above.
6. change the icon property path to a different icon, or have the two icons hidden somewhere on the form and just make this button icon equal one or the other depending on the condition.
7. Click pulls back the list is simply achieved by checking the form height property (again)
8. As long as the height property is not smaller than the title bar height, the title bar is visible.

Does this help enough? or you would rather have a code example?

Eman_2005
Technical Communicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back